Lake Highland Preparatory School is seeking an Upper School Drama Director and Performing Arts Liaison. This is a ten month, full time, benefitted position. Lake Highland is home to a rich and thriving Arts program, and seeks an energetic individual with a minimum five years Drama teaching experience, and a minimum three years theater directing or comparable experience.
About Lake Highland Preparatory School
Lake Highland Preparatory School is Orlando’s Premier, Private College Preparatory School for Pre-K through 12th Grade. When students enter our classrooms, they meet energetic educators who are passionate about what they teach and who focus on developing the greatest potential of each student. Our classes are small - providing the optimal setting for students to be encouraged and inspired. At Lake Highland Prep, students learn to question, create, challenge, analyze, and speak and write critically. They love learning, and each day we watch them reach for excellence, seek new discoveries, shine on the stage, and thrive in athletics. We not only prepare our students for success in college and beyond, but we also teach them to be compassionate leaders who make ethical decisions.
Lake Highland's comprehensive art curriculum offers students dynamic instruction in the fine and performing arts. Students begin their artistic journey in the Lower School. In the Upper School, 9th-12th graders experience conservatory-like programs with advanced classes and competitions in a variety of visual and performing arts media. We are intensely proud of the artistic accomplishments of our talented Highlanders. Many of our graduates pursue their artistic passions in college, and some are called to careers in the arts.
This position is responsible for directing the US Drama Program including teaching US Drama classes, directing and producing US plays and musicals, serving as sponsor for US Drama Club and providing Show-flow assistance for music concert productions. Other related duties as assigned.
Responsibilities of US Drama
- Teach Playwriting and Devising, Drama I and Drama II,III H, and IVH.
- Curriculum includes a staged One-Act, playwriting, directing and acting
- Direct and produce Co-curricular Upper School Main Stage productions:
- Fall play, Spring musical and student original production of Mystery Dessert Theatre
- Sponsor of Upper School Drama Club
- Schedule meetings; oversee Executive Board and monthly meeting agendas including publicity, programs and posters for drama events
- Sponsor of Upper School Thespian Troupe 2449
- Assist students with Thespian I.E. selections, schedule auditions and select District Roster. Schedule and rehearse students for District V Festival and manage additional coaches as required. Organize and attend District V Festival.
- Select State Roster for Florida State Thespian Festival
- Rehearse State Roster and organize and attend State Festival.
- Collaborate with Arts Administrator, faculty and Arts League to prepare and provide student talent for school-wide events such as the Arts Festival and Veterans Day Celebration and additional events such as Founders Circle Party
- As Performing Arts Liaison, participate in Production meetings for LS and MS Drama and musical theatre.
- Collaborate with LS, MS and US directors on play selection
- Work with HCCA staff, ALB and SALT Arts to continue developing Front-of-House
- Work Show-flow with music teachers for concert production
- Minimum five years Drama teaching experience
- Minimum three years theater directing experience or comparable experience
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in related area. Master’s degree preferred
- Licenses & Certifications: State certification and endorsement in assigned area.
- Experience: Pre-service experience required for certification.
Knowledge, Ability & Skills: Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills. The ability to perform independently and in groups. Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and multitask when necessary. Knowledge of theory and practice of student learning styles. Knowledge of applicable federal and state regulations and statutes. Ability to remain pleasant and calm under sometimes-stressful circumstances. Ability to communicate cooperatively and constructively with other staff, students and parents in a multi-cultural environment. Computer skills including word processing, database, spreadsheet and graphics.
How to Apply
Please submit résumé and letter of interest to: email@example.com