Important Info: 2018 MS Cross Country Season
1. Your athlete must sign up! This is the only way we know who to check on forms for before our first practice. Sign up sheets will be posted in the 6th grade hallway & on the Charles Clayton Campus. You can also sign up by emailing Coach Cook (firstname.lastname@example.org). You must sign up by Friday, August 17th!
2. ALL forms (EL2 and EL3) must be submitted through Athlete Connection by Friday afternoon to participate in our first practice. Each athlete must also complete a concussion test before our first meet. Many have done this, but anyone who hasn't will do it at our second practice on Wednesday, August 22.
Link to Athlete Connection: http://www.lhps.org/ATHLETICS/Athletic-Training/AthleteConnection
3. First practice is Monday, August 20th, with a Parent Meeting immediately after at 4:30 in the foyer of the main campus gym.
3. Practices will be held on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays 3:30-4:30. We always meet in the front of the main campus gym. 7th/8th graders will take the Actvity Bus over to the main campus immediately after school.
5. The full meet schedule can be found below the parent information. All meets are at Trinity Prep and races are 2 miles.
6. There are no try-outs! Any 6th-8th grader with a good attitude and desire to run is on our team!
7. Any questions? - email Coach Jessikah Cook (email@example.com)
Additional Parent Information
Practices will be held every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Practices will be held at the main campus from 3:30-4:30. Transportation to the main campus will be provided for the 7th and 8th graders on practice days. Runners will practice on the track, around the Lake Highland campus and on the Orlando Urban Trail. Pick up will be in front of the main campus gym. Pick-up is at 4:30.
What to Bring to Practices
- Good running shoes. If you need more information, see below.
- Water Bottle—hydration is important
- Comfortable, cool, and appropriate clothes to run in.
- A desire to run!
Rainy Day Practices
We will run in the rain; however, if it is lightning we will practice indoors. We will work out in the gym or on the stairs in the Rex Building.
In order to be eligible for an athletic team in the current school year, a current Physical Form, Consent Form and Concussion Form must be on file in the Athletic Training office. Your child may not practice until this is turned in! These forms can be found on the LHPS website, under Athletic Training and must be submitted through the online system (Athlete Connection).
All meets will take place at Trinity Prep (5700 Trinity Prep Lane, 32792)
Please mark your calendars with the dates below:
Monday, August 27th Monday, September 17th
Tuesday, September 4th Monday, September 24th (Championship Meet)
Wednesday, September 12th
***Girls will start @ 4:30 followed by the boys @ 5:00 (or whenever the girls finish). Races are 2 miles and the meet should be over around 5:30pm.
In order to be eligible for meets, students must come to AT LEAST one practice a week. Coming to every practice is ideal. If you will miss practice, you must notify me in advance, either in person, by email or by phone. You are encouraged to run the workout you miss on your own under parent supervision.
Transportation for Meets
A bus will take students from LHPS to the meets. You may take your child with you after the meet, or they may ride the bus back to LHPS and you may pick them up at the Main Campus Gym at approximately 6:00pm.
Improvement and Additional Training
At this age, the focus of a running program is fun and improvement. The goal is for you to have fun and hopefully run faster at the end of the season than you did in the beginning. It is VERY advisable to run on your own in addition to the scheduled practices. If you are going to miss practice our hope is that you will complete the workout at home.
Runners will be providing their own solid, black shorts and we will be ordering uniform tank tops and a spirit shirt to wear on meet days (or any Friday). It is the same white tank and black t-shirt as in the past, so you do not have to order a new one unless needed. Please return the Spirit Pack sheet with your size to Coach Cook, Coach Schaeffer or Coach Chihak after the parent meeting on Monday, August 20th. The price for both shirts is $25 or one for $12.50. The charge will be billed to your student account through an online system. Go to http://shopsports.americommerce.com/ and look for the Spirit Packs link on the left side of the screen. Be sure to go to Fall Sports and Middle School Cross Country.
This year we are offering the Upper School Spirit Pack to the Middle School runners. I will email out a link to parents and those interested can make additional purchases from that site. They are offering some cool stuff this year!
There is no single “best shoe.” Everyone has different needs depending on their biomechanics, their weight, or the shape of their feet. One person's ideal shoe can be terrible for another person. A training shoe with plenty of cushion and support should be used on a daily basis for a growing runner. We recommend Track Shack to help you find the right shoe. They give 10% off to student runners!
Location: 1104 N. Mills Avenue, Orlando, FL 32803
Phone: (407) 898 - 1313
Hours: Mon-Fri (10am – 7pm), Sat (10am – 5pm), Closed Sunday